Business intelligence analysts use data to figure out market and business trends for companies to increase profits and efficiency. Business intelligence analysts gather this data through a number of ways, from mining a company's computer data through software, looking at competitor data and industry trends to help develop a picture of where the company stands in the industry, where they can improve results and where they can reduce costs. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working collaboratively with accounting department staff liaising on a daily basis with operations management teams to gain an intimate understanding of their needs. The specific responsibilities focus on 3 primary areas of responsibility:
- Business Intelligence: Develop systems and processes to implement business intelligence systems, including: (a) Understanding and facilitating the integration of business processes, people, and relevant technology, in order to identify, configure, and communicate useful information, and to provide practical business leadership to drive business decision making across all portfolio companies; (b) Increase productivity by developing and maintaining various financial models and standard templates distributed for use by management during the planning processes, ensuring quality, accuracy and focused analytic review; (c) leading the strategic design and maintenance of business intelligence applications. Identifies, researches, and resolves complex technical problems. Ensures that the use of business intelligence applications enhances business decision making capabilities; and (d) Identify non-value added process within the accounting department and seek solutions.
- Financial Reporting (Internal & External): Managing all internal & external reporting, including: (a) Providing timely, relevant and accurate monthly reporting & analysis of the results of each asset’s performance against historical, budgeted, forecasted and strategic planning results to facilitate decision-making toward the achievement of the budget and strategic plan; (b) Assisting in the annual preparation of financial statements and footnotes for the reviewed and compiled statements; and (c) Helping to improve financial results by analyzing results and variances, identify trends, recommend actions.
- Transaction Support: Provide commercial and analytical support to senior management on debt refinancing, equity investment initiatives and M&A transactions, including acting as a liaison with management, investors and lenders including, (a) direct responsibility for the preparation of offering memorandum including relevant market research, data mining, business intelligence and valuation comps; (b) researching and analyzing new business opportunities and producing clear summaries to enable decision making and production of clear and articulate marketing material such as teasers, presentations and teasers as required for transactions. This will include elements of research and information collation; (c) maintaining and developing various financial models and standard template for use in asset valuations including sensitivity and scenario analysis, (d) mitigating risk through careful/thoughtful analysis of target’s historical financial results and predictive modeling for achievable future results through data-driving financial projections; (e) ensuring quality, accuracy and focused analytic review and data room evaluations; and (f) assisting in the management and execution of the due diligence process including wider geographical and economic factors that could impact the deal.
A successful Business Intelligence Analyst will have the following:
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university, preferably in Mathematics, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering Statistics, Economics, Accounting or Finance.
- General Understanding of GAAP and knowledge of statutory accounting principles
- Must have extremely strong MS Excel skills
- Familiar with SQL and other database application; as well as third party visualization BI tools.
- The position will also leverage statistical modeling, regression, and simulation to uncover critical insights for the business to act upon. This position emphasizes a need for a creative mind to conceptualize, design, and develop data visualization applications using BI development tools as well as a scientific mind to analyze key performance indicators, metrics, and actionable drivers.
- The successful candidate will have an instinct to listen to others but can constructively disagree when new thinking will add value to outcomes
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details
- Ability to multi-task and work in a challenging-fast paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Maturity, professionalism and a high level of discretion are required
- Knowledge of procedural controls and data validation techniques required
- Strong work ethic and a positive, can-do attitude
- Independent worker and analytical thinker with an ability to conduct research, data analysis and resolve complex problems
- Financial modeling experience and understanding of financial statements
- Apply objective, analytical, and orderly thinking to the analysis of complex problems
- Ability to communicate findings to executives, suggests innovative business solutions, and develops real-time fixes to customer impacting issues
- Excellent organization and time-management skills; results oriented, strong sense of urgency, proactive and flexible