The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This Application Development Manager role leads the continuous improvement and innovation process for reliable system designs using internal resources, third party strategic service partners, and managed service providers. Effective partnership and teamwork with internal and external IT partners and all other IT service teams is a key success factor. This position will also work closely with the Infrastructure Team to ensure optimal performance for all business applications.
The Application Development Manager will identify system design/performance concerns. This role will be critical with any system implementations involving application deployments to ensure IT and its third party strategic service providers or partners; rollout and provide on-going support for daily operations. In addition, this employee will have ongoing responsibilities for identifying and implementing system design/enhancement and related processes as needed.
By leveraging your experience, leadership skills, and positive attitude, as well as your understanding of cross-functional relationships, you will help deliver process and technology within in a global environment.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Manage application design/development, including stability. Manage the day to day system enhancement process and be the single point of contact to drive process improvement and innovate to achieve stability and maturity.
- Develop and sustain effective trusted relationships and partnerships with key partners in order to provide relevant insights, expertise and advice on application design and enhancement, including transition to support.
- Help govern all application production environments with documented protocols and procedures - change management, release management, problem management and incident management.
- Work with the Integration Manager(s) to ensure EDI and other middleware tools are stable and meeting business requirements.
- Oversee SAP Basis functions.
- Communicate updates with progress on open requests and work with management team to coordinate any planned resource needs for design, build, testing and implementation.
- Ensure effective consultation with internal and external partners in exploring and applying appropriate changes to existing processes / tools and creating new ones.
- Drive continuous process improvement using metrics and data.
- Ensure effective application issue response and resolution in the event of application outages with proactive response team approach and communications as appropriate.
- Identify Automation Opportunities and measure Tools effectiveness to determine any enhancement required (Ex: Code Inspector). Implement industry best practices for proactive system monitoring and measurement.
- Utilize project management skills to ensure work streams are properly identified and prioritized, resources utilized, time lines met and provide consistent status updates.
- Provide application enhancements, troubleshooting, corrections for production problems, recommendations for improvement and coordination with other IT groups for problem resolution.
- Partnering with cross channel teams to identify opportunities and supporting the development of new sustainable best practice approaches.
- Assist in the development of an annual plan that aligns with the business and the application development function.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years' relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 3+ years' experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Working experience and knowledge of end-to-end IT software and systems solution delivery from idea conception, design, development and transition into production operations and maintenance.
- Ability to lead and manage under conditions of ambiguity and uncertainty. Proven organizational skills in working across organizational boundaries and reporting lines - ability to work in a matrix environment as required.
- Experience managing an SAP technical environment including BASIS and SAP's middleware technologies such as Process Orchestration, formerly XI / PI.
- Good working knowledge of EDI.
- Demonstrated discipline, analytical skills, problem-solving abilities and attention to details.
- Demonstrated ability to understand system capabilities and ability to find ways to improve system performance
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively communicate with peers and executive leadership
- Strong leadership and management skills that align with the Smithfield culture. Specific skills include facilitating change, driving operational excellence, and striving for continuous improvement.
- Experience with project management.